In a Year of 13 Moons (German: In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden) is a 1978 West German drama film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder and starring Volker Spengler. The film was made in response to the suicide of Fassbinder's lover at the time, Armin Meier.
The film follows the last five days in the life of Erwin Weishaupt (Volker Spengler). In love with his former business partner Anton Saitz (Gottfried John), who was not gay, he decided to change his sex and to become Elvira, but the sex change did not bring him happiness.
- Volker Spengler - Erwin / Elvira Weishaupt
- Ingrid Caven - Rote Zora
- Gottfried John - Anton Saitz
- Elisabeth Trissenaar - Irene Weishaupt
- Eva Mattes - Marie-Ann Weishaupt
- Günther Kaufmann - J. Smolik, chauffeur
- Lilo Pempeit - Sister Gudrun (as Liselotte Pempeit)
- Isolde Barth - Sybille
- Karl Scheydt - Christoph Hacker
- Walter Bockmayer - Soul-Frieda
- Peter Kollek - alcoholic
- Bob Dorsay - city tramp
- Gerhard Zwerenz - Burghard Hauser, writer