Romeo is the son of the Montague family and is an able swordsman. Juliet is the daughter of the Capulet household, almost 14 years old. The two young teens fall in love but their respective families are violently feuding and try to keep them apart, leading to their tragic deaths.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet Capulet
- Douglas Booth as Romeo Montague
- Ed Westwick as Tybalt Capulet
- Christian Cooke as Mercutio
- Paul Giamatti as Friar Laurence
- Tom Wisdom as Count Paris
- Kodi Smit-McPhee as Benvolio Montague
- Lesley Manville as the Nurse
- Tomas Arana as Lord Montague
- Laura Morante as Lady Montague
- Damian Lewis as Lord Capulet
- Natascha McElhone as Lady Capulet
- Stellan Skarsgard as Prince Escalus
- Leon Vitali as Apothecary
- Nathalie Rapti Gomez as Rosaline
- Anton Alexander as Abraham
Filming started on February 3, 2012 in Italy. The film was shot at the grotto Sacro Speco in Subiaco and in Mantua. The first pictures of the set were posted on Italian newspaper Gazzetta di Mantova on February 14, 2012. Steinfeld finished filming her scenes on March 7, 2012.
In April 2011, Hailee Steinfeld was said to be in talks for the lead role as Juliet in this new adaptation. Due to Steinfeld's young age, there was some concern she would be asked to appear nude in the film. Director Carlo Carlei explained "there was a lovemaking scene that included nudity for the married Romeo and Juliet. This script was written with a 20-year-old actress in mind. As soon as Hailee Steinfeld was cast, all nudity and lovemaking have been excised from the script. It will be romantic and age-appropriate for a 14-year-old." Julian Fellowes added, "We did feel it would be nice to have romantic, married love, and that purity was an important part of the film. They don’t make love until they have been married."
In May 2011, it was reported Ed Westwick was in final negotiations to star as Tybalt. He revealed, "You see more into Tybalt in Julian's version. Instead of him being a straight villain and sort of the fascist that we know from the play, you get some depth."
The role of Romeo was found in June 2011 when Douglas Booth was cast, beating out 300 other actors who were interested in the part.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Romeo and Juliet (2013 film). The list of authors can be seen in the . As with MOVIEPEDIA, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons .|