Sausage Party is a 2016 American 3D adult computer animated adventure comedy film directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon, produced by Megan Ellison and Vernon, and written by Kyle Hunter, Ariel Shaffir, Seth Rogen, and Evan Goldberg. It stars Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, James Franco, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Paul Rudd, Nick Kroll, David Krumholtz, Edward Norton, and Salma Hayek.
A spoof of Paramount, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures Animation, Aardman, Blue Sky Studios, Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks Animation and Illumination Entertainment films, that follows a sausage who tries to discover the truth about his existence and goes on a journey with his friends to escape their fate. The film's rough cut premiered on March 14, 2016 at South by Southwest and the film was theatrically released in the United States on August 12, 2016 by Columbia Pictures. The film received positive reviews and has grossed over $139 million, becoming the highest grossing R-rated animated film of all time, surpassing South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, which held the record for seventeen years.
In a supermarket called Shopwell's, a sausage named Frank (Seth Rogen lives with various groceries. In a peaceful life, their ultimate goal is to get picked by a customer (Lauren Miller), but soon they discover the truth about their existence. With the help of their friends, Frank and his hot dog bun girlfriend Brenda (Kristen Wiig) embark on an adventure to escape their fate.
- Seth Rogen as Frank, one of the sausages
- Kristen Wiig as Brenda, a hot dog bun
- Jonah Hill as Carl, one of the sausages
- Bill Hader as Guacamole and Firewater, an old bottle of liquor
- Michael Cera as Barry, one of the sausages
- James Franco as a piece of toast
- Danny McBride as Honey Mustard
- Craig Robinson as Mr. Grits, a box of Grits
- Paul Rudd as Nicky Da Vinci, a tomato
- David Krumholtz as Vash, a lavash
- Nick Kroll as Douche
- Edward Norton as Sammy Bagel, Jr., a bagel
- Salma Hayek as Teresa, a taco
- Conrad Vernon as Twinks, a twinkie
- Anders Holm as Troy, one of the sausages
- Greg Tiernan as Potato and Noodle Soup
- Scott Underwood as Twink
- Sugar Lyn Beard as the Baby Carrots
- Lauren Miller as Camille Toh, a woman who purchases the food and a tampon
- Harland Williams as a bottle of Ketchup
- Ian James Corlett as an Apple, a French Tickilish licorice, a jar of Relish, and a Bag of Dog food
- Vincent Tong as Pislitz Chips, a Juice Box, and a bottle of Jamaican Rum
- Sam Vincent as a half eaten Sandwich, a Pop Tart and a Licorice Rope
Sausage Party has received positive reviews from critics. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 82%, based on 125 reviews, with an average rating of 6.8/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Sausage Party is definitely offensive, but backs up its enthusiastic profanity with an impressively high gag-to-laugh ratio – and a surprisingly thought-provoking storyline." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 66 out of 100, based on 36 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B" on an A+ to F scale.